Friday, February 18, 2011

Myths Of the Temp Worker World- My primary challenge

Business development in workforce management and project employment is not difficult. Identifying decision makers, calling hiring managers to offer a solution to their current and future challenges, mapping out the barriers to customer company success, presenting customized proposals, executing those plans. Maybe I'm jaded since this is not my first rodeo.

My biggest challenge is the "cubby-hole" people try to put me in when I make that first call. "Oh, you're a temp agency...". Or when I speak with qualified applicants about a new project assignment and I can see their body language and facial expression turn sour. Just before they say, "...you know I'm really looking for a permanent job....".

News bulletin: there's no such thing. If you're reading this on a computer (home or work) I'm afraid I have to tell you that your current job is not permanent. If you're unemployed right now, that's also not permanent. The chair you are sitting on is not "permanent" (as it will someday be sold in a garage sale and after that probably recycled or land-filled). Your car, your golf swing, your favorite restaurant, even your educational acheivement is not a "forever" proposition. The degree may go next to your name, but the value of that over time changes.

Likewise for employers. When someone tells me they want to hire someone with "long term potential", what I hear them say is "...we need someone adaptive to change, flexible, entrepreurial, and low maintenance to be able to be proactive in changing their approach to work...". You can develop humans all you want, but you have to know where that development project is going. In the 21st Century, it's frankly a moving target. So make sure your people can "move" with the times.

Here's a sample of what I deal with all the time. A self-serving white paper by one of my peers in the industry.  Debunkng that "Temp" Designation

Welcome your thoughts and ideas on how this is wrong, dated, appropriate, or confusing. Your experience and knowledge is maybe even better than mine.

Just let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment